IMC is a fast, dynamic environment where you’re trusted to make decisions from day one. We trade a wide range of financial instruments in many ways. This means we look for different types of traders, from the quantitative minds who enjoy exploring the mathematical side of trading to those who want more of the fast-paced, hands-on style of trading and have a higher appetite for risk.
Our traders and researchers all share one thing in common—they are at their best when solving complex problems. Their insights into global events, market shifts and pricing ensure that we always trade in the right place at the right time.
Your IMC journey will begin with a seven-week global trading traineeship led by our seasoned traders, quants and engineers, during which you’ll meet graduates from Sydney, Amsterdam and Chicago. You’ll then continue your training in your local office for two months. During your training, we’ll work closely with you, monitoring your skills, performance and preferences to help you find the trading career that is right for you.
Where you go from here is up to you—we’ll help you carve out your own niche as you tackle new challenges and explore exciting opportunities in our markets. And you’ll gain real recognition for your ideas and successes along the way.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Start with a seven-week international traineeship in one of our global offices.
- Become familiar with the different areas of our business while being trained by some of the world’s best traders and engineers.
- Solve complex problems and make decisions that will have a direct impact on the company’s trading profits.
- Collaborate with traders to evaluate existing trading models, algorithms and systems.
- Build customised analysis tools to explore new research ideas.
- Design mathematical models based on innovative trading ideas.
- Apply rigorous quantitative techniques to solve complex problems.
- Implement these new models and put them into production.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with our Developers and Engineers to understand and improve technical infrastructure.
- Research new market opportunities.
- Have a real-time connection to the world economy and gain the knowledge to act on it.
WHAT YOU’LL GET:
- Support from a mentor specifically chosen to work with you and guide you through each step of your traineeship and onboarding process.
- Structured training, coaching and professional development opportunities.
- An environment where creativity, teamwork and innovation are recognised and rewarded.
- The chance to travel the world and work in our offices across Europe, North America and Asia Pacific.
- An inspiring and vibrant work environment in the new Quay Quarter Towers overlooking Sydney Harbour—recently named “the world’s best building.”
- Weekly social activities, regular team events and an annual company getaway.
- In-house chef providing breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks.
- In-house barista providing tea, coffee and refreshments.
- Complimentary weekly fitness classes and subsidised health and wellbeing programs.
- Paid volunteer leave to give back to causes that are important to you.
- Generous relocation package if you’re not from Sydney.
WHAT YOU HAVE:
- Strong analytical skills and desire to solve complex problems.
- A competitive drive to win and thrive in a team environment.
- An inquisitive mind, self-sufficiency and resilience.
- Strong programming skills in either C++, Java or Python are a plus.
- A genuine passion for financial markets (no prior knowledge or experience is required).
- Master’s or PhD in a quantitative field (e.g. Mathematics, Engineering or Physics) preferred.
- The ability to commence in either February or August 2025.
OUR HIRING PROCESS
To set you up for success, you can find our hiring process including tips on applying and interviewing with us on our website. Now it’s up to you! Apply today to start an amazing journey with IMC.